Sunday is bake day for me and this weekend I just wanted to bake something easy and fun. My cutlery cookie cutters came just in time for me to have some fun with these sugar cookies. You can use whatever cookie cutter you wish and decorate them with Royal icing, dip them in some melted chocolate or simply enjoy them as they come out from the oven.
I like to bake mine a little longer so that they are a bit more crunchy. As it’s getting warm and humid in HK, the key is to refrigerate them before you roll them out. In fact after cutting them out, I put them back into the fridge for another 10 mins before baking. Do not play with them for too long as the warmth in your hands will melt the dough.
I dipped my baked cookies in melted chocolate and stuck a few of the mini chocolates / sprinkles on the cookie. They look pretty cute. The cookies are yummy too.
Recipe is adapted from Sally’s Baking Addiction recipe (which I found in her cook book). I reduced the sugar and butter but increased the flour from the original recipe. I also baked the cookies for a little longer than the original recipe.
Here’s the recipe for making 40 cookies (depending on how thick you roll out your cookies and the size of your cookie cutter).
- 290 grams all purpose flour
- 120 grams granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 large egg at room temperature
- 160 gm butter softened to room temperature
- 2 teaspoons of pure vanilla extract
For the decoration:
- 1 bar of melted dark chocolate
- Some sprinkles
- Some mini chocolates like M&Ms
- Mix the flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl. Set aside.
- In a standing mixer (or you can use a hand mixer), beat at medium speed, the butter for approximately 30seconds to 1 minute until creamy.
- Add the sugar to the butter and beat at high speed until fluffy. Should take around 2 minutes.
- Add the vanilla and egg to the batter and beat at high speed for 30 seconds.
- Add the dry ingredients to the batter and beat at low speed until well incorporated. DO NOT OVERBEAT.
- Take the dough and split it into 2-3 balls. Place them between two pieces of parchment paper. Roll them out to around 1 cm thick. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours. I left mine in the fridge for 1 day.
- When the dough is ready, take it out from the fridge and use your desired cookie cutter to cut out different shapes. Put the cookies back into the fridge. Preheat oven to 180C. After 15 minutes, take out the cookies and bake them for 15 minutes or until the sides are slightly golden brown.
- Allow the cookies to sit on the baking sheet for 5-10 minutes then cool on a cookie rack.
- Once cooled, can decorate. I dipped mine in melted chocolate then placed a few mini chocolates on them. Some of them I dipped in beautiful pink sprinkles. Store the cookies in airtight container for up to 3days.
P.S. As butter is the main ingredient in this recipe, use good quality butter. My preference is always President.