Cauliflower pizza is a great cheat food and perfect for those wanting a gluten free pizza option. Whilst the taste and texture may not be as great as a real pizza, having a few slices will not be as guilty. Plus you can save time from kneading the dough and waiting for it to rise. I ate the whole pizza without feeling too guilty 🙂
I made my cauliflower rice a day ahead and stored it in the fridge. Tonight I just had to throw in some herbs and an egg to bake the crust. I then topped it with a few slices of turkey breast and grated cheese. Yummy!
Here’s the recipe for an 8 inch pizza :
INGREDIENTS FOR CAULIFLOWER PIZZA CRUST
- 1 head of cauliflower
- 1/4 cup of shredded cheese (I used Cheddar)
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Pinch of black pepper
TOPPINGS FOR THE PIZZA (you can use whatever your heart desires. Below is what i used tonight)
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese
- 4 slices of turkey breast ham
- 3 tablespoons of tomato sauce / pizza sauce
- Wash the cauliflower and chop into small pieces. Either grate it into crumb like texture or use a food processor to make cauliflower rice. I used the latter.
- Steam or microwave the cauliflower rice for 5 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Place the cooked cauliflower rice in a tea towel and squeeze out the water. This is important as you don’t want a mushy pizza crust.
- Preheat your oven at 200C and place your baking sheet or a pizza stone into the oven.
- Add the cheese, egg, salt, pepper, oregano and any other dried herbs that you like to the cauliflower rice. Mix.
- Spray a piece of parchment paper (that is big enough to fit your pizza) with some oil. Pour the cauliflower rice onto the parchment paper and press into a round / rectangular shape. Bake the pizza crust for 25 minutes until brown and crispy.
- Take out the crust and top with tomato sauce, turkey breast ham and the cheese. Bake for another 10 minutes. Serve.
Next time I will try making cauliflower fried rice!