This Hurricane Swiss Roll is going viral in many food blogs so I had to give it a try. For the filling I decided to skip the chocolate ganache and opted for Nutella. I make it easier to spread, i placed my bottle of Nutella in hot water for a few minutes to loosen it up. Don’t forget to give it a stir before spreading to evenly mix the oil and hazelnut paste in the Nutella.
It’s my first time to make this cake and was not too difficult. Didn’t turn out too pretty so will try it again next time using by increasing the ratio of chocolate vs plain cake.
The following makes one Swiss roll. I used a 34cm x 24cm pan.
4 egg yolks (蛋黃）
1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar (塔塔粉）
75grams caster sugar (幼沙糖）
75 grams cake flour (底筋粉）
40grams vegetable oil (菜油）
75grams milk (鮮奶）
2.5 tablespoons of unsweetened cocoa powder (可可粉）
1/4cup Nutella (Nutella 榛子醬)
1. Preheat your oven to 175C. Line your baking pan with parchment paper.
2. Separate the egg yolks and egg whites into 2 big bowls.
3. Warm the oil in a pot at low heat until it reaches 55C. Remove from heat and pour the oil into a container. Set aside.
4. Warm in the same pot as you warmed the oil and at low heat until it reaches 55C. Remove from heat and pour into a container. Set aside.
5. Sift the cocoa powder into a small bowl and add 2.5tablespoons of the warm milk. Mix well to form a chocolate sauce. Set aside.
6. Add 20grams of sugar to the egg yolk. Whisk until pale yellow. Keep whisking and slowly add the oil followed by the milk (make sure you keep whisking as you add the liquids).
7. Sift the cake flour into the egg yolk mixture and whisk until well incorporated. Set aside.
8. Beat the egg whites on medium speed with a hand whisk or standing mixer. When the egg whites start to turn into white foam add the cream of tartar and 1/3 of the remaining sugar. Add the remaining sugar in two separate batches as you continue to beat the egg whites until stiff peaks are formed.
9. Take a 1/3 of the egg whites and add to the egg yolks. Using a whisk slowly fold the egg whites into the egg yolks. Repeat with the remaining egg whites and gently fold it into the egg yolks in two separate batches.
10. Take 2/5 of the batter and pour into a separate bowl. Add the chocolate mixture and fold gently until well incorporated. Pour into a piping bag.
11. Pour gently the plain batter into the baking pan. Using a bench scraper even out the batter.
12. Pipe the chocolate batter over the plain batter so that it covers the entire plain batter. Using the back of a spoon, draw zig zags from end to end and side to side.
13. Gently tap the pan. Bake at 170C for 22 minutes.
14. Remove the pan from the oven and take out the cake and place on a baking sheet. Put a piece of parchment paper on top then a cooling rack. Carefully flip the cake so that the chocolate side is on the cook rack with the parchment paper underneath and the plain part of the cake should be on the top.
15. Let the cake cool. In the mean time put your bottle of Nutella in a bowl of hot water for 3 minutes. Remove from the hot water and stir the Nutella.
16. When the cake has cooled completely, spread the Nutella on the plain part of the cake. You should cover the entire surface with a generous portion of Nutella.
17. Roll the cake into a roll and wrap with parchment paper. Place on fridge for at least 3hours. Slice and serve. 🍰🤤