I adapted this bread using the my walnut fig bread. Threw in 2 tablespoons of hemp seed to give it a protein kick.
I baked in my Le Crueset Dutch Oven instead of a pizza stone. The bread turned out amazing with a nice crust.
I also added some diced Edam cheese to take it to another level. Totally 😋.
Ingredients for the sponge （老種）
I made batches of this sponge and freezer them in separate bags of 65gm portions
- 250g of T65 flour or bread flour (高筋粉）
- 105g of water （水）
- 5g of salt （鹽）
- 2g of fresh yeast (or a pinch of dry yeast) （2g 新鮮酵母或小小乾酵母）
To make the sponge, add the yeast to the water and let it sit for 5minutes. Thereafter mix all ingredients together and knead for 10minutes. Keep in fridge overnight or you can wrap in cling wrap in portions of 60grams and freeze up to 3 months. To use, thaw in fridge overnight.
Ingredients for the bread:
- 180grams of T65 flour (or bread flour) （高筋粉）
- 60 grams of rye flour （黑麥粉）
- 60grams of the sponge （老種）
- 5grams of salt （鹽）
- 160grams of room temperature water （室溫水）
- 1 teaspoon of dry yeast or 10grams of fresh yeast 一茶匙乾酵母或10gm 新鮮酵母
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts (合桃碎）
- 2 tablespoons hemp seeds (optional) (大麻籽）
- 1/4 diced cheese （芝士粒）
1. Mix together your yeast and water for 10 minutes.
2. Add your bread flour, rye flour, salt, sponge and yeast water into your standing mixer. Mix at low speed until a dough is formed. I mixed mine for around 8 minutes.
3. Add the walnuts and hemp seeds to the dough and mix at low speed until well incorporated.
4. Place the dough in a bowl and cover with cling wrap. Let it rise at room temperature for 30minutes.
5. Remove the dough and place on lightly floured surface. Press out the air from the dough and form a ball. Place the dough in a bowl and cover with cling wrap. Let it rise at room temperature for 30minutes.
6. Remove the dough and place on lightly floured surface. Using a rolling pin roll the dough into a long rectangular shape and place the cheese on the dough. Roll it back up and place on a piece of baking sheet. Cover the dough with a tea towel. Let it rise at room temperature for 45 minutes. In the meantime, place either a pizza stone or a Dutch oven into your oven. Turn on oven to 220C.
7. After 45 minutes, score your bread with a lame and sprinkle some bread flour on top. Take out your Dutch oven (be careful as it’s very hot♨️♨️♨️) and place your bread into it. Cover with lid and bake at 220C for 20minutes. Remove the lid and bake for another 15minutes. Remove from oven and cook on rack for a few minutes before serving. If baking on a pizza stone, can bake at 220C for 25minutes.