Strawberries are perfect for summer themed desserts but adding fresh strawberries to chiffon cakes sometimes make it hard to control. So I decided to use some freeze dried strawberries and turned out great with quite an intense flavour. All you need is a small pack of freeze dried strawberries which you can find at Parknshop and almost supermarkets. Much better than those artificial flavouring.
The following recipe makes a 17inch chiffon cake.
- 4 eggs (雞蛋）
- 50grams bread flour （高筋麵粉）
- 60grams cake flour (底筋麵粉）
- 60grams vegetable oil （菜油）
- 110grams of milk (鮮奶）
- 65grams caster sugar （幼沙糖）
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder （泡打粉）
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar （塔塔粉）
- 2 tablespoons of ground freeze dried strawberries. I used one pack of 👇🏻
- Pinch of salt (鹽）
1. Preheat oven to 180C.
2. Separate the egg yolks and egg whites into 2 big bowls.
3. Grind your freeze dried strawberries into powder and set aside.
4. Warm the oil in a pot at low heat until it reaches 55C. Remove from heat and pour the oil into a container. Set aside.
5. Warm the milk the same pot as you warmed the oil and at low heat until it reaches 55C. Remove from heat and pour into a container. Set aside.
6. In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, powdered strawberries and baking powder. Set aside.
7. Add 20grams of sugar and a pinch of salt to the egg yolk. Whisk until pale yellow. Keep whisking and slowly add the oil followed by the milk (make sure you keep whisking as you add the liquids).
8. Add the sifted flour mixture to the egg yolk and whisk until well incorporated.
9. Beat the egg whites on medium speed with a hand whisk or standing mixer. When the egg whites start to turn into white foam add the cream of tartar and 1/3 of the remaining sugar. Add the remaining sugar in two separate batches as you continue to beat the egg whites until stiff peaks are formed.
10. Take a 1/3 of the egg whites and add to the egg yolks. Using a whisk slowly fold the egg whites into the egg yolks. Repeat with the remaining egg whites and gently fold it into the egg yolks in two separate batches.
11. Pour the batter into the cake pan. Tap the pan gently against your counter top.
12. Bake the chiffon as follows:
i. 8mins at 180C
ii. 10mins at 165C
iii. 30mins at 140C
iv. 3mins at 165C
13. Remove from oven and invert the pan to cool for an hour.
14. Remove the cake from the pan and enjoy with a nice cup of ☕️😋