As my sourdough starter is building up, I need to find more reciepes to use up the discarded starter. I’m just not used to throwing out food. I adapted this KAF maple walnut bread by using AP flour and replaced the maple extract with pure vanilla extract. I also saved 2 tablespoons of the chopped walnut, mixed it with some demurra sugar and sprinkled it on top before baking. The bread had a great oven rise and turned out delish.
The following makes one 9×5 inches loaf.
- 300grams all purpose flour (中筋麵粉）
- 80grams packed brown sugar （黃糖）
- 1 teaspoon baking powder （泡打粉）
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda （蘇打粉）
- 1 teaspoon salt (鹽）
- 170g sourdough starter, unfed/discard (酸種)
- 113g greek yoghurt or sour cream (希臘乳酪 or 酸忌廉)
- 113g melted unsalted butter (融化無鹽牛油)
- 2 large eggs （雞蛋）
- 156g maple syrup （楓糖漿）
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 170g chopped walnuts （核桃）
- 1 tablespoon of demurra sugar (or white sugar) （糖）
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Grease a 9″ x 5″ loaf pan.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a small bowl, place 2 tablespoons of the chopped walnut and mix with the demurra sugar. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the starter, yoghurt/sour cream, melted butter, eggs, maple syrup, and vanilla extract.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry, stirring just until the mixture is evenly combined. Stir in the remaining walnuts.
- Pour the batter into the loaf pan. Sprinkle with the walnut sugar mixture.
- Bake for 65-70minutes until the top of the loaf is golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. As mine was turning quite dark, I tented mine with alumnimun foil after 45 minutes.
- Leave the bread in the pan for 15 minutes. Remove from pan and cool on rack for an hour before slicing.
- Enjoy your bread with some tea or coffee.