Kale whilst being a superfood has never been on my list of favourite healthy foods. I used to find it tasting like grass – hard and bitter until I recently discovered that an oil massage for my kale makes a world of difference.
I found that by massaging the kale with a tablespoon of oil and lemon juice (or vinegar) for a few minutes helps to soften and brings out the sweetness of the kale.
The video below shows how to give your kale some love 🙂
I usually make the kale a day ahead to bring to work for lunch and tastes really yummy.
The following reciepe makes 1 big serving.
- 3 cups of Kale (with the stalks removed)
- 1.5 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 tablespoon of lemon juice or balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon of low calorie sesame dressing
- Pepper and salt to taste
- 1-2 tablespoons of grated cheese (optional)
- 1/2 cup of cooked quinoa
- 1 poached egg
- 1/2 avocado (diced)
1. Wash the kale, remove the stalk and cut into small pieces.
2. Add the olive oil, lemon juice or balsamic vinegar and the sesame dressing to the kale. Massage it into the kale for a few minutes. You can either use it immediately but I usually leave it in the fridge overnight.
3. When you are ready to serve the salad, poach your egg. Add some salt and pepper to your poached egg.
4. Add your quinoa and avocado to your kale. Season with salt and pepper. If you wish you can add a bit more sesame dressing. Mix. Sprinkle the grated cheese and add the poached egg. Serve immediately.