It’s been some time since I last made chiffon cake. Today I was feeling a little adventurous and decided to try making fresh corn chiffon cake. I used fresh corn juice and added corn kernels to it. It definitely pass the fluffy test! 😂 Tomorrow will bring it to the office for a taste test. 🍽
The following recipe makes one 21cm chiffon cake:
- 5 egg yolks (蛋黃）
- 100ml fresh corn juice （粟米汁）
- 65ml vegetable oil （菜油）
- 150 grams of cake flour （低筋麵粉）
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder （泡打粉）
- 25 grams of caster sugar （幼沙糖）
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt （鹽）
- 4 tablespoons of cooked corn kernel (I used the canned ones) （罐頭粟米粒）
- 5 egg white （蛋白）
- 25 grams of caster sugar (幼沙糖）
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Separate the eggs into two bowls.
- Add 25grams of the sugar to the egg yolks and beat until pale yellow.
- Add the oil to the egg yolk batter and continue to beat for approximately 30 seconds until well combined.
- Add the corn juice to the egg yolk batter and beat for another 30 seconds until well combined.
- Sift the cake flour and baking powder into the egg yolk batter. Use a spatula or a whisk, mix the flour and egg yolk batter until well combined. Set aside.
- Beat the egg whites until foamy. Add 1/3 of the caster sugar and the cream of tartar and continue to beat until it start to form soft beats (looking a bit like whipped cream). Add the remaining caster sugar in two separate batches and continue to beat until stiff peaks form. Set aside.
- Take 1/3 of the egg white (aka meringue) and add it to the egg yolk batter. Using a whisk, fold it into the egg yolk batter until well combined.
- Add another 1/3 of the egg white into the egg yolk batter. Using a spatula, gently fold the egg white into the egg yolk batter until well combined.
- Fold the remaining egg white into the egg yolk batter until well combined. Fold in the corn kernel into the batter.
- Pour the batter into your chiffon cake tube pan and lightly tap it against your counter top a few times to release any air bubbles.
- Bake the chiffon cake at 180 C for 15minutes. Reduce the heat to 150C and bake for another 30minutes.
- Remove the cake from the oven and invert the pan and cool for an hour before you remove from the pan.