Who doesn’t love bagels….a toasted bagel with a bit of cream cheese is the perfect breakfast treat. I usually make half a dozen and freeze any leftovers. You can reheat them in an oven or a toaster and they will still be yummy.
The following recipe makes 6 bagels.
Ingredients for bagels
- 370 grams of strong bread flour
- 3 grams of instant yeast
- 5 grams of salt
- 20 grams of honey
- 190 grams of water
- 25 grams of tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon of mixed dried herbs
Ingredients for the water bath
- 1.2 L of water
- 45 grams of honey
- Mix the water and honey and set aside.
- Add the flour to your standing mixer bowl.
- Put the salt on one side of the flour and the yeast on the other (so that the salt and yeast don’t touch).
- Gradually add the honey and water to the flour and turn on your mixer to low speed. Add the tomato paste and herbs.
- Knead the dough in your mixer for 13 minutes. Take the temperature of your dough and it should not exceed 23C. If it is under 23C, you can continue to knead the dough for 2-3 minutes until it forms a ball. If it has reached 23C, stop kneading the dough. Form it into a ball and place it back into your mixer bowl. Cover with cling wrap and let the dough rise for 45 minutes.
- Whilst the bagels are proofing, cut (a) 6 squares of parchment paper around 15cm x 15 cm; and (b) 6 squares of paper towels and wet them.
- After the first rise of the bagels, divide the dough into 6 portions (around 110gram each). Roll them into balls and cover with cling wrap. Let the dough relax for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, can shape the bagels as shown below.
- Place each bagel on a small sheet of parchment paper and cover with a piece of damp paper towel to prevent the bagel from drying. Place the shaped bagels on a baking sheet and cover the with a towel. Let the bagels rise for 30 minutes.
- Whilst the bagels are doing the second rise, preheat your oven to 210C.
- In the last 5 minutes of the second rise, boil the 1.2 L of water and 45grams of honey.
- When the bagels finish the second rise, boil each bagel for 1 minute (30 seconds on each side). Boil one bagel at a time unless you are confident in handling several bagels at a time. After boiling the bagel, place the bagel on the baking sheet. Repeat with the other 5 bagels.
- Bake the bagels at 210C for 16 minutes.