If you want to be more adventurous with your cookies you can give these a try. It may sound weird to use dried shrimps in your cookies but surprisingly they are very flavourful. My friends devoured them within minutes.
These are super easy to make and can be made in advance into cookie rolls and stores in your freezer. Whenever you want some fresh cookies you can take out a roll and leave it at room temperature for 15mins, slice then bake away.
The following recipe makes 20 cookies.
- 80 grams of dried shrimp (蝦米)
- 70 grams of caster sugar (幼沙糖）
- 115 grams of cold butter (cut into cubes) （凍牛油）
- 1 large egg （雞蛋）
- 30 grams of ground almond （杏仁粉）
- 140 grams of cake flour （低筋麵粉）
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt （鹽）
- 1/4 cup of white sesame seeds （白芝麻）
- Pre heat your oven to 150C for 10 minutes. Toast your dried shrimps for 15mins at 150C. Let the toasted dried shrimps cook for 10mins then grind into powder. Set aside.
- Mix the flour, ground almond, sugar and salt and grounded dried shrimps. Add to your food processor and pulse for 20 seconds.
- Add the egg and butter to the food processor and process until the ingredients blend together and forms a ball of dough.
- Place the dough on a sheet of parchment paper. Roll the dough into a log.
- Roll the the log of cookie dough in some sesame seeds. Wrap the cookie log in some parchment paper and refrigerate for at least an hour. If you want to bake it later you can freeze it until you want to bake it.
- When you are ready to bake it, take it out from your freezer or fridge and let it sit on the counter for 15mins. In the meantime preheat your oven to 180C.
- Slice your cookie dough to around 0.5 cm and place on cookie sheet. I brushed my cookies with some egg and sprinkled with dried shrimp. You can also sprinkle with more sesame seeds.
- Bake cookies at 180C for 20C or until golden brown. Cool the cookies on a cookie rack for 30minutes and enjoy. The cookies can be stored in an airtight container for up to 4 days.