When life gives you lemon, you make lemon chiffon cake!
This is a relatively light cake with a refreshing lemon flavour. It makes a 18cm chiffon cake.
4 eggs 🥚🥚🥚
110 grams cake flour
45 grams vegetable oil
45 grams freshly squeezed lemon juice
zest of 3 lemons 🍋 🍋🍋
70 grams caster sugar
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
Pinch of salt
1. Preheat oven to 170C.
2. Separate the egg yolks and egg whites into 2 big bowls.
3. In a separate bowl, sift together the flour and baking powder. Set aside.
4. Add 20grams of sugar and a pinch of salt to the egg yolk. Whisk until pale yellow. Keep whisking and slowly add the oil followed by the lemon juice.
5. Add the sifted flour mixture to the egg yolk and whisk until well incorporated. Add the lemon zest and using a spatula mix gently. Set aside.
8. In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites on high speed with a hand whisk or standing mixer. When the egg whites start to turn into white foam add the cream of tartar and 1/3 of the remaining sugar. Add the remaining sugar in two separate batches as you continue to beat the egg whites until stiff peaks are formed.
9. Take a 1/3 of the egg whites and add to the egg yolks. Using a whisk slowly fold the egg whites into the egg yolks. Repeat with the remaining egg whites and gently fold it into the egg yolks in two separate batches.
10. Pour the batter slowly into the cake pan. Tap it gently against your counter top.
11. Bake the chiffon as follows:
i. 10 mins at 170C
ii. 35 mins at 140C
12. Remove from oven and invert the pan to cool for an hour.
13. Remove the cake from the pan and serve. 😋