I love all kinds of nut butter because it’s so versatile. You can spread it on your toast, make cookies and even healthy protein balls for breakfast. It only takes a few simple ingredients and you can whiz it up in 15 minutes.
If you don’t like cashews, you can use peanuts, walnuts, almonds or even pecans. If you want to skip the sweetness, you can omit the maple sugar or you can use honey.
The following recipe makes 1 300ml jar. I always sterilise my jars by steaming them for 10 minutes before I use it for storing my nut butters.
- 350 grams of cashews
- 1 teaspoon of sea salt
- 1 tablespoon of coconut oil or flavourless oil (do not use olive oil)
- 3 tablespoons of honey or maple syrup (you can omit this if you don’t want to add any sugar to your nut butter)
- Wash and drain your cashews. Preheat oven tot 150C
- Place your cashews in a large bowl. Add salt and maple syrup / honey and mix well.
- Line your baking sheet with parchment paper and place your cashews on the baking sheet. Spread them out in a thin layer so that they bake evenly.
- Bake at 150C for 30 minutes. Remove from oven and let the cashews cool.
- Place the cooled cashews into a food processor a high speed blender. Process / blend at high speed for 6-8 minutes until it starts to turn creamy. Add the coconut oil and continue to process / blend for 2-3 minutes until creamy.
- Pour the nut butter into the jar. Cover and put in the fridge for at least an hour until it thickens. Can be stored in the fridge for up to 10 days.