Having an oven in a home in HK is quite a luxury. So I have decided to test some recipes using alternative methods such as steaming my cakes.
I experimented with my chocolate cake recipe by baking one and steaming the other. Both turned out very moist. This recipe is very easy to make and it’s foolproof.
The following recipe makes one 6 inch chocolate cake
- 140 grams cake flour
- 30 grams unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 60 grams brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 85 grams of melted butter (at room temperature)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup of coffee at room temperature (the coffee enhances the chocolate flavour but if you don’t want to use coffee, you can use water or milk)
- 125 grams of plain yogurt
- 50 grams of melted dark chocolate
- chopped nuts or freeze dried strawberries
- Line a 6 inch cake pan with parchment paper.
- In a bowl, sift together the cake flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In a bowl, beat together the eggs and sugar at medium speed for 1 minute. If you don’t have an egg beater, you can use a whisk the eggs and sugar by hand for 2 minutes.
- Whisk in the vanilla, coffee, yoghurt and melted butter into the egg mixture.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix until well combined. Do not over mix.
- Cover the cake pan with aluminium foil loosely to prevent the water from dripping onto the cake when steaming.
- Steam the cake for 45 minutes. I used a Miele steam oven and steamed it at 100C.
- Remove the cake from the steamer and let it cool in the pan (remove the foil) and on a wire rack until cool to touch. I cooled mine for 1 hour.
- Remove the cake from the cake pan and cool for another 30minutes on the rack.
- In the meantime, melt the dark chocolate in a microwave or Bain Marie.
- Once the cake has cooled, pour the dark chocolate on top of the cake and using and palate knife to spread the chocolate evenly. Sprinkle with chopped nuts or dried strawberries. Refrigerate the cake for 2 hours or even overnight until the chocolate has set. Share and enjoy.
To do a comparison between baked and steamed cakes, I used the same recipe but added some walnuts to make a baked chocolate cake. The baked version had a better rise and a crunchier top. I personally preferred the baked version but the steam version is not bad.
材料 （1 個6吋蛋糕)
140克低筋麵粉 （cake flour）
30克可可粉 （unsweetened cocoa powder）
1茶匙泡打粉 （baking powder）
60克黃糖 （brown sugar）
85克溶化牛油 （melted butter）
1 茶匙雲呢拿油 （vanilla extract）
125克原味乳酪 （plain yogurt）
50克黑朱古力 （dark chocolate）
小小果仁粒或者士多啤梨乾碎粒 （nuts or freeze dried strawberries）