I have recently gone mad with cashews because they are so versatile. Tonight I decided to make some vegan cashew ice cream. The ice cream takes some patience as you need time to soak the cashews and to freeze the ice cream maker container. But the wait is all worth it because the ice cream so so rich and yet filled with lots of good fats from the cashews and coconut milk. You can use this as the ice cream base and try different flavours such as throwing in some strawberries to make strawberry ice cream or even melted dark chocolate.
The following recipe makes around 1L of ice cream.
- 250 grams of raw cashews
- 400ml of coconut milk
- 1/4 cup of distilled water
- 1/3 cup of maple syrup (if you are not vegan, you can use honey)
- 4 tablespoons of coconut oil
- 2 teaspoons of pure vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon of sea salt
- Put put your ice cream maker in the freezer for at least 24 hours prior to making the ice cream.
- Soak the cashews in water for at least 8 hours.
- After soaking the cashews for 8 hours or longer, drain off the water and rinse the cashews a few times.
- Place the cashews, coconut milk, water, maple syrup, coconut oil, vanilla extract and sea salt into your high speed blender and blend until smooth. Put the ice cream mixture in the fridge for 30 mins.
- Pour the ice cream mixture into your ice cream maker and churn according to your ice cream maker instructions. If you find the ice cream too watery after churning, put the ice cream in a container and into the freezer for an hour or when you wish to enjoy it. I usually put a piece of parchment paper on top of the ice cream before putting the lid to avoid ice crystals from forming.
- To decorate, I added some melted dark chocolate and sprinkled some toasted hazelnuts. Yummy!