Another way to use chia seeds is to make chia pudding which can be enjoyed as breakfast, tea time snack or dessert. You can be as creative as you want with the flavours and go vegan by using nut milk. I have seen them selling chia pudding at Pret for HKD38 a pot so why pay the premium when you can make this in 10 minutes. You can even make it in the office and store it in the fridge overnight. You will have a yummy breakfast waiting for you the next morning. It can’t get any better.
The following makes one cup of chia pudding.
Ingredients for chia pudding base
- 1/2 cup of milk (you can use any milk you like. I used coconut milk for mine and my other favourite is almond milk)
- 1/2 tablespoon of maple syrup (you can adjust the sweetness and use whatever sweetener you have on hand)
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons of chia seeds
Chocolate chia pudding
- 1 teaspoon of unsweetened cocoa powder
Matcha chia pudding
- 1/2 teaspoon of matcha powder
- Chopped nuts
- Chocolate chips
- Jam (you can add the homemade Fig Chia Jam (無花果奇雅子果醬))
- Nut butter
- Mix together the milk, vanilla extract, maple syrup in a glass container e.g mason jar.
- Add the chia seeds and cocoa powder or matcha powder to the liquid and stir until well combined. Cover the jar and refrigerate for at least an hour. I like to make it the night before and refrigerate overnight so that I can enjoy it for breakfast or afternoon tea the following day.
- When you are ready to serve the chia pudding, add whatever toppings you like. For my chocolate chia pudding, I added chocolate chips and chopped nuts. For the matcha chia pudding, I added some homemade Fig Chia Jam (無花果奇雅子果醬), white chocolate chips, blueberries and chopped nuts.